NewsCurrently, no news are available
Machine Learning for Big Data Systems
NEW Kickoff meeting: Oct 24, 14:00, E 1 1, R3.06
Registration starts after the kick-off meeting. This seminar is limited to 12 students. If you are interested in the seminar, please drop by the kick-off meeting. We will explain the requirements and tasks you have to fulfill in order to pass this course. Further, we will present the list of available papers. Afterwards, you can register if you wish to participate in the seminar.
Students are expected to have very good knowledge about the basics of information systems and our core lecture database systems. If you did not pass our core lecture with a very good grade, this course will not make sense to you.
The number of participants is limited to 12 people.
This course counts 7 ECTS.
There will be talks throughout the semester.
Requirements for passing this course:
Attendance at all presentations
peer-reviewing of other papers
Peer Review Process
We will put you in peer groups of three students. During the seminar, you have to read the paper of your two peers and write a short summary (1 page). The summary should also give feedback which sections are hard to understand, incomplete, or of particular importance. This will help your peer to prepare the presentation.
Reviews are not graded directly but contribute to your final grade. Make sure to put in good effort, as it not only improves your grade but also helps other students. And eventually, you will benefit from good reviews by your peers, too.
Papers are assigned through a bidding process. You submit a list of three papers, ordered descendingly by your interest in the paper. We will then assign papers to students automatically, where the algorithm tries to assign you your favorite.
You will write a summary of your paper of at most 4 pages. Additionally, you will write a short summary of each peer paper. Later, you will review the 4 page summary of your peers.
Schedule and Deadlines
- October 31: Specify your top-3 list of papers you would like to present in CMS.
- November 02: Receive the assignment to your paper as well as to your two peers.
- November 14 - November 28: Make an appointment with your advisor to discuss your paper. You will give a short oral summary of the paper and discuss open questions with your advisor.
- December 05: Hand-in a 4-page summary of your paper in CMS as well as two 1-page summaries for your two peer papers.
- December 12: Write feedback on your peer's 4-page summary and upload it to CMS.
- Starting December/January x: Each week, we will have two presentations of 25 minutes + questions/discussion each. You have to hand in your slides one week before your talk latest. As a peer, you are expected to ask meaningful questions about the paper.